Once you've advertised your property online and held your property inspections, it's time for the rental application stage to begin.


A savvy applicant who's serious about securing your property is likely to have prepared an application pack ahead of the viewing to ensure they're amongst the first to register their interest. The pack should include:


  • References and contact details from previous landlords

  • Bank statements

  • A current employment contract, payslips and employer contact details

  • A cover letter

  • Photocopies of several items of personal identification


Real estate agents typically expect '100 points' worth of personal ID with the rental application to be considered. If it works for professionals, there's no reason why you shouldn't apply the same rules as a self-managed landlord.


The point system works as follows:


Primary ID with photo - 30 points

  • Passport - either Australian or from another country

  • Australian drivers licence

  • Proof of Age card

  • Payslip - Mandatory

  • Rental Ledger - Mandatory


Secondary ID - 20 points

  • Birth certificate (original or copy)

  • Australian Citizenship Certificate

  • ATO Tax Return

  • Australian bank or credit union statement (not an ATM slip)

  • Medicare card

  • Credit card

  • Bank ATM card

  • Council rate notice


Supplementary ID - 10 points

  • Gas/electricity bill

  • Telephone bill

  • Vehicle registration certificate

  • Private healthcare card

  • Degree, diploma or higher education certificate

  • Employer/security ID card

  • Marriage certificate

  • OSR land tax assessment notice


References are there for a reason - make sure you call every one. If they don't call you back, keep trying or ask the applicant for further referees. If your hopeful tenant has trouble finding people to vouch for their character, there's your answer - it's time for you to move on.

General Disclaimer

The information contained in TenancyCheck.com.au website is general information only and does not constitute legal, financial or compliance advice. As the laws relating to tenancy agreements may have changed we recommend you check with the relevant State or Territory government department. We also recommend that you obtain your own independent legal advice about matters relating to landlord obligations, tenant rights and any legal disputes you may have with a tenant(s).