A state-specific property condition report template is there to benefit both landlords and tenants.


It must be completed shortly after the tenancy starts - to delay is to increase the chance of disputes regarding when damages occurred.


A standard property report lists, room-by-room, the contents and condition of your premises. Anything broken or worn should be catalogued. Photographs are also an excellent way to document the condition of the property when a tenant first moves in.


The report should then be used as a point-of-reference for future. If a bond is taken, it's compulsory to complete a condition report. In cases when a bond it not taken, completing a condition report is still advisable.


Both landlord and tenant should sign the completed property condition report. If for any reason on party refuses to, an external witness is acceptable.


When determining the difference between normal wear and tear, which isn't recoupable against the tenant's bond, and malicious damage, which is, consider the following examples:


Wear & Tear

  • A lock broken due to age

  • Carpet worn due to frequent footfall

  • Curtains sun-faded

  • Flaky, poorly applied paint


Malicious Damage

  • Mould or mildew formed as a result of poorly aired out property

  • Broken window to access property after forgetting your keys

  • Your dog chews up the landlord's couch

  • Burn marks on the carpet

The purpose of final inspections is to compare the property's condition at the end of the tenancy to its condition at the beginning. The initial property report and any photos will be referenced at this time. If the property is deemed not to be in a reasonable state of cleanliness, or to have incurred damage that doesn't qualify as wear and tear, the landlord will be within their rights to claim for some or all of the bond.

General Disclaimer

The information contained in TenancyCheck.com.au website is general information only and does not constitute legal, financial or compliance advice. As the laws relating to tenancy agreements may have changed we recommend you check with the relevant State or Territory government department. We also recommend that you obtain your own independent legal advice about matters relating to landlord obligations, tenant rights and any legal disputes you may have with a tenant(s).